$13,700 (cost includes airfare departing from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, GA)
The students live in an apartment in A Coruña, Spain
A Coruña is located in the northwestern most part of Spain.
Present-day Spain was then unified by 1512 according to the U.S. Department of State. By the 16th century, Spain was the most powerful country in Europe because of wealth obtained from its exploration of North and South America. By the later part of the century, however, it had been in several wars and its power declined. In 1953 Spain signed the Mutual Defense Assistance Agreement with the United States and joined the United Nations in 1955. These international partnerships eventually allowed Spain’s economy to begin growing because it had been closed off from much of Europe and the world prior to that time. By the 1960s and 1970s, Spain had developed a modern economy and in the late 1970s, it began to transition to a more democratic government.
Weather: The climate of Spain is temperate with hot summers and cold winters inland and cloudy, cool summers and cool winters along the coast. August is the hottest month in La Coruna with an average temperature of 20°C (67°F) and the coldest is January at 11°C(51°F).
Our students work with La Esperanza Baptist Church in La Coruña, Spain. The strategy of this church is to evangelize and disciple those living in the La Coruña and the surrounding cities.
- “Partner with the Baptist Church La Esperanza to plant and to grow the Body of Christ, especially where there is not an evangelical presence.”
- “Support and equip local churches as they reach out to their communities in evangelism, discipleship and service.”
- “Stir the hearts of local believers to have a passion for all peoples and mobilize them for world mission and world prayer.”
Operation Mobilization (OM) – www.om.org
La Coruña, Spain
You will be based in La Coruña,northwest of Spain. You will be working at the social centre, running a second hand shop, English conversation club, English classes and any workshops we might have by the time you are here. You will be attending a local Baptist Church which is partnering with the social centre. You will attend weekly Spanish lessons at the local Spanish Language School.
Proposed weekly schedule (weekly goals):
Four to Five hours of Spanish lessons per week
Five hours of personal language Study (homework from Spanish classes)
Two hours of devotional together and sharing as a team
One hour of personal follow up and conversation with the coordinator.
17 hours in the social / cultural centre (practicing Spanish, making friends and evangelism)
Three hours of any of these two options:
1) English language teaching, plus 3 hours of preparation OR
2) Workshops according to the persons gifts (Art, English Conversation club, Photography class, dance…) plus 3 hours of preparation.